Fudgey Vegan Brownies
Some like it chewy, others like it fudgey.
We are the others.
The recipe below comes courtesy of Aine Carlin, a vegan food blogger and author from Ireland currently residing in Cornwall, England. Her book, 'Keep it Vegan' was gifted to me last year by my eldest sister, on my 29th birthday...yup still in denial about that!
These bad-boy brownies were the first thing I made from Aine's book; they go perfect with coconut whipped cream, dairy-free ice cream, or a dollop of denial
250g plain flour
1 sp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 ripe banana, peeled and mashed
230g caster sugar
1 tbsp good-quality vanilla extract
140g good-quality dark chocolate, broken into pieces
4 tbsps vegan margarine, plus extra for greasing
1 tbsp agave nectar
60g dark chocolate chips
120g walnuts, chopped
icing sugar, to dust
1) Preheat the oven to 180C/gas mark 4. Grease a 20cm baking tine and line with baking parchment
2) Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl
3) In a medium bowl, combine the mashed banana, sugar and vanilla extract
4) Bring a small pan of water to the boil and then turn down to barely a simmer. Put a heatproof bowl on top, place the chocolate, margarine and agave in the bowl and melt together until smooth and glossy. Pour the melted chocolate into the banana mix and stir to combine
5) Make a well in the centre of the flour, pour in the chocolate mixture and fold thoroughly until everything is incorporated. Finally, fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts, ensuring not to overwork the mixture
6) Pour into the prepared tin and bake in the oven for 25 minutes
7) Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares and dusting the brownies with icing sugar. Serve with chopped strawberries, non-dairy ice cream or coconut whipped cream